Salary: £45k – £70k dependent upon skills and experience.
Location: We’re currently meeting in the London office once a week and working remotely the rest of the time.
Data has the power to radically transform construction and keep existing structures in our cities safe against climate change and environmental risks. BKwai is building a platform to deliver insights to engineers in the construction industry using research and applied data science technology. Our platform brings together data from the latest in sensors, satellites that can measure millimetres of movement from space, and environmental data. We want to harness the power of data-driven insights to make marter, safer decisions and predictions.
The company is a spin-out from the University of Cambridge and backed by the university and Octopus Ventures, with strong market traction in a huge potential market. Our Founder has worked internationally in the fields of construction, asset management and satellite data and she is well connected within the sector.
What are we looking for? We are looking for an experienced product-minded Frontend Engineer to join our development team. You will help us continually evolve our SaaS solution by designing, building and deploying high-quality software which our users love. This role is both challenging and exciting as you’ll be involved in shaping the technology used to create our web app interface; we don’t expect you to know everything, but you will need to learn new skills quickly and be able to learn from, and teach, your teammates.
You’ll be part of the team focussed on our product roadmap, delivering both proof of concept and production ready solutions. You’re the kind of person we’re looking for if:
- You enjoy collaborative working and supporting your colleagues.
- You take pride in yours and your team’s code and ensure it’s clean, maintainable, scalable and well-tested code.
- You can break deliverables down into smaller parts.
- You are known for your practical decision making.
- You are comfortable with autonomy and taking ownership.
- You have a passion for building user interfaces that are simple, intuitive and beautiful.
- You love solving problems, and relish in the constant challenges a startup throws your way.
- When you see something not working, you’ll flag it and be part of the solution.
- You can communicate effectively – from writing documentation to demoing your latest work to stakeholders, as well as listening to and interpreting requirements and feedback.
- You enjoy learning, sharing your knowledge and mentoring more junior members.
From the technical point of view, you have experience in:
- Designing and delivering high performance and complex applications for the web, in TypeScript using React.
- Core React concepts like Hooks and, ideally, common libraries such as Redux, React Router.
- Modern end-to-end testing and automation with libraries such as JEST.
- Understanding factors that affect the perceived performance of a web app and how to mitigate them to create a smooth and delightful user experience.
Bonus points if you know about:
- Microservices\Micro frontend
- Mapping tools e.g. MapBox
- Cloud Infrastructure, ideally AWS: code artifacts, CloudFront
- The opportunity to join a fast-growing, agile, and diverse team passionate about innovation and making a difference
- Share option scheme
- Company pension scheme (matched to 5%)
- 25 days paid holiday + bank holidays on top of that
- Access to lifestyle benefits from Heka
- Flexibility on working hours to help with family and other life commitments
- Hybrid office-home working (some time with your team, some time working from home)
- Opportunities for continued learning and self-development, including courses and attending events/conferences
- Team catch-ups, town halls and knowledge sharing presentations
- When COVID permits us to be in the office, we have a space in central London, with snacks and beverages (the engineering team particularly enjoy the ability to play table tennis at lunch)
- Regular team socials
- Importantly, we have a great team of smart, fun and inspiring colleagues, who work well to support each other
- Stage 1: 30 mins discovery video call
- Stage 2: 55 mins interview with elements of our technical team, focusing on your previous experience and technical knowledge
- Stage 3: 30 mins pairing exercise
- Stage 4: 30 mins informal chat with 2 non-technical members of the team.
We are looking to add to our culture with people from diverse backgrounds who are motivated to make a positive change, and to do so with integrity and an open mind. We support equality, diversity and inclusion, and encourage applications from all sections of society – and we mean that in more than words. Our company has a gender balanced team, covers many different cultures and nationalities, a spectrum of ages and works with people of different physical abilities.
If this job speaks to you but you’re not sure that you “tick all the boxes” then please apply anyway. If we can help with any special accommodations for your application or interviews, just let us know.