Data has the power to radically transform construction and keep existing structures in our cities safe against climate change and environmental risks. BKwai is building a platform to deliver insights to engineers in the construction industry using research and applied data science. Our platform brings together data from the latest in sensors, environmental data, and satellites that can measure millimetres of movement from space.
The company is a spin-out from the University of Cambridge backed by both the university, and Octopus Ventures, with strong market traction in a huge potential market. Our Founder has worked internationally in the fields of construction, asset management and satellite data and she is well connected within the sector.
What working as a Lead Engineer at BKwai looks like:
We are growing BKwai’s engineering team and you will be leading this team of backend and frontend engineers to develop our SaaS offering, which is used by tier 1 construction companies. The engineering team are responsible for the keeping the platform running smoothly, as well as building, deploying and validating new features using the measure and learn approach. You will be working closely with other areas of the business, such as product and data science to make this happen.
As lead engineer at BKwai, your day will start with stand-up where we check the progress of work streams to highlight and eliminate blockers. In your day to day, you will be working with product managers and colleagues to plan and scope technical solutions required to deliver our product roadmap; breaking down those into smaller, deployable pieces that can deliver real user value and add capabilities for the business to use. You will be hands-on, but able to keep track of the bigger picture and be pro-actively mentoring and upskilling other members of the team, ensuring best practices are being kept across software engineering, data engineering, and in productionising data science.
Our cloud hosted (AWS) tech stack implements a service-based, event-driven architecture, and we pay close attention to performance, monitoring, security and scalability, you would embody these principles, and help the team write maintainable, reusable & reliable code, along with adequate documentation and testing, integrated and deployed via our CI/CD pipelines.
What we are looking for in candidates:
- Proven experience as a Software Engineer designing and developing SaaS cloud-based platforms.
- A believer and advocate of best-practices across all engineering disciplines.
- Experience leading a team of engineers (both frontend and backend) that take pride in delivering clean, maintainable, scalable and well-tested code.
- Practical understanding of service-based, event-driven architectures and cloud design patterns
- Familiarity with AWS, MLFlow, Git
- Willing to get hands-on with engineering tasks.
- The opportunity to join a fast-growing, agile, and diverse team passionate about innovation and making a difference
- Share option scheme
- Company pension scheme (matched to 5%)
- 25 days paid holiday + bank holidays on top of that
- Access to lifestyle benefits from Heka
- Flexibility on working hours to help with family and other life commitments
- Hybrid office-home working (some time with your team, some time working from home)
- Opportunities for continued learning and self-development, including courses and attending events/conferences
- Team catch-ups, town halls and knowledge sharing presentations
- When COVID permits us to be in the office, we have a space in central London, with snacks and beverages (the engineering team particularly enjoy the ability to play table tennis at lunch)
- Regular team socials
- Importantly, we have a great team of smart, fun and inspiring colleagues, who work well to support each other
- Stage 1: 20 mins discovery video call
- Stage 2: 40 mins pairing exercise + 30 mins technical interview
- Stage 3: 30 mins informal chat with 2 other members of the team.
Time of interview: 1:30h
We are looking to add to our culture with people from diverse backgrounds who are motivated to make a positive change, and to do so with integrity and an open mind. We support equality, diversity and inclusion, and encourage applications from all sections of society – and we mean that in more than words. Our company has a gender balanced leadership team, covers many different cultures and nationalities, a spectrum of ages and works with people of different physical abilities.
If this job speaks to you but you’re not sure that you “tick all the boxes” then please apply anyway. If we can help with any special accommodations for your application or interviews, just let us know.